Royal Leamington Spa, commonly known as Leamington Spa or Leamington, is a spa town in central Warwickshire, England. It is named after the River Leam which flows through the town.
Its expansion began following the popularisation of the medicinal qualities of its water by Dr Kerr in 1784, and by Dr Lambe around 1797. The healing properties of the spa waters had been known in Roman times and their rediscovery in 1784 by William Abbotts and Benjamin Satchwell, led to their commercialisation. In 1814, the Royal Pump Rooms and Baths were opened close to the River Leam. This grand structure attracted many visitors, expecting cures by bathing in pools of salty spa water.
Leamington saw the creation of the first tennis club in the world, formed in 1872, and the modern rules of lawn tennis were drawn up in 1874 at Leamington Tennis Club. The town has several parks and gardens, including the Jephson Gardens, close to the Royal Pump Rooms and next to the River Leam. The road running through the town centre is the Parade (formerly Lillington Lane until 1860). The shopping street contains high street chains and a covered shopping centre.
* 1 hour drive to Oxford
* 1 hour and thirty minutes train journey to central London