CHE Bulletin Board system
The CHE Bulletin Board System (BBS) is for
• CHE Academic Year Programme (AYP) student BBS
• Schools forums, for message exchange between different schools in the UK, Ireland and abroad
• You need to have registered to be able to use any of the board
• You need to be in a usergroup to access your school's forum. If you cannot access your school's forum, please see your school moderator
• Do not check the 'log me on automatically' box if you are on a public or school computer, otherwise someone else can log on as you
• You do not have to give out any personal information
• We recommend that you keep your e-mail address hidden - see your personal settings by clicking on the 'profile' button
• CHE and your school moderator are reading your messages!
• Do not change your default language to Japanese unless your browser is Japanese enabled and you understand Japanese. You will probably not be able to change it back again. Believe me.
General set-up of schools forums and groups
You need to have registered to be able to use any of the board. Registration needs a username, a password and a valid e-mail address. The e-mail address is confirmed by the computer sending an e-mail and the person replying.
Every forum is private apart from the CHE general forum (which is just a test forum). This means that only certain usergroups have access to a particular forum. Unless a user is registered and also a member of that usergroup, he or she cannot access any forum in any way.
Some school forums are hidden, meaning they don't show up at all on the main page except to registered users who can access that forum via their usergroup. Schools can ask for a forum status to be changed to hidden.
For school forums, generally there will be two usergroups set up, one for the UK school and one for the Japanese school. Each usergroup is allowed access to those schools' joint forum.
Every school forum has two moderators, a teacher from each school. CHE does not actively moderate the groups or forums, as that is the responsibility of the schools concerned.
This BBS software was chosen partly on the basis of the security features it offers. The initial set up is secure and providing the moderators do monitor their usergroups and forums correctly, CHE have every confidence in this system providing a safe method of bulletin board exchange between schools. The BBS software website is: www.phpbb.com
For more information on the BBS setup for schools forums, please go to the BBS instruction page. There are also separate user manuals and moderator manuals which can be e-mailed from
Access to the CHE-AYP forum is controlled in a different way. All AYP will have received a username and a password in advance of coming to England. If you have forgotten your username or password, please contact JFIE or CHE.